We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.
InMotion hosting got its start in 2001. They are currently based out of the state of California and have quickly grown to become an ideal option for bloggers, professional developers and businesses when it comes to web hosting. Their plans are affordable, they include more features for less money and they pride themselves on stability, service and growth potential. With three different hosting plans to choose from (VPS, dedicated and shared) as well as reseller accounts and WordPress hosting, they are definitely versatile.
- Free SSD Drives
- Free Domain
- 30 to 90-Day Money Back Guarantee
- Free Backups
- Free One-Click Installer
- Pre-Installed WordPress
- Top-Notch Tech Support
- No Service Level Agreement
- No Windows-Based Hosting
- Security Issues
InMotion Scoring and Rating
Hosting Package: (Rating: 8/10)
InMotion Hosting is all Linux-based; therefore, if you’re looking for a Windows host, you’ll need to look elsewhere. They have a good variety of package options and they cover most bases. Currently they have shared hosting, VPS hosting, dedicated servers, reseller hosting plans and WordPress hosting. They also have managed plans for those in need.
When it comes to shared hosting, they are relatively affordable. Their VPS and dedicated plans include higher-spec options than what you would expect for the price. If you do want to eventually become a reseller, their VPS plans are the best. There is no cloud hosting with InMotion at this time.
Prices for their hosting packages range from $4.89 per month to as much as $500+ – of course, these all depend on if you go with dedicated, shared, VPS, etc. They are generous with their disk space, but unlimited isn’t exactly something they dabble in – and some companies prefer unlimited storage and bandwidth with their plans.
Features/Functionality: (Rating: 9/10)
There are a good deal of features and functionality options with InMotion Hosting – though they are similar to other companies offering comparable plans and prices, so it’s nothing special.
Some of their top features include PHP, WordPress, uptime guarantees, backups (automatic and scheduled), MySQL databases, cPanel and customized control panels, Perl, email, 24/7 support, access logs, Magento, MaxCDN, multiple domains, spam filters, SMTP, web calendar, streaming audio and video and SSH as well as SSD. They do offer web templates for faster website building too for those not using another platform.
Security: (Rating: 7/10)
InMotion boasts about their security, but in reality, many users have found their security to be much less than they claim. They have multiple instances where they are hacked, and current as well as past customers have requested several times that the company increase security. InMotion also has been seen telling customers that it is their site; therefore, they are responsible for their own security.
In 2011, the hacker TiGER-M@TE was able to compromise the company’s security and data centers. There were more than 700,000 websites and users affected by this and it was limited to index files on the customers’ accounts. While they were restored in a few hours, this is not the only security issue the company has had in the past.
WordPress: (Rating: 8/10)
WordPress hosting is available through InMotion. If you opt for a WordPress account, you will have WordPress preinstalled and ready to use. Your domain is free and you get unlimited hosting. They also include automatic upgrades, drag and drop website building, free WordPress themes, and an SSD drive included for free.
With their WordPress accounts you also get WP-CLI, unlimited transfers, unlimited storage and anywhere from two to unlimited MySQL databases. They also offer free data backups, multiple accounts available, quick and easy to use control panel and easy to add Google apps.
There have been some complaints in the past about WordPress though. Some users have found that their WordPress site is inaccessible at times via InMotion Hosting. Also, errors have been reported when deleting a user from the WordPress account. However, most of these complaints come from user-error and not necessarily always InMotion Hosting’s fault.
Usability/Ease of Use: (Rating: 8/10)
InMotion does use cPanel for their sites – which is notorious for being user-friendly. You don’t have to be super techy to order and setup a website. They also offer free website builders with drag and drop options for faster completion. There are free and automatic backups too – so you don’t have to worry about losing data when you make changes to your site.
If you need to add ecommerce, they have a step-by-step process that walks you through it so you can get your online store up and running. To make it easier, they offer free one-click installations on over 310 applications and you can code in more languages.
Also, if you are a Google fan, your Google apps can integrate into your account with their three-step wizard.
While user-friendly, there are some hosts out there that come in a little higher on the usability scale. InMotion Hosting doesn’t necessarily have the easiest website to navigate in general, which only goes to show what you can expect from their control panels.
Reliability: (Rating: 8/10)
InMotion Hosting guarantees an uptime of 99.9%. They do have a highly capable network that utilizes staff around-the-clock as well as their Proactive Management Tool to ensure uptime. They do not share their actual uptime statistics online, which is something other companies do. You can choose which data center you want for your site if you go with a business class hosting package or VPS option – if you don’t use one of these two, you are stuck with whatever data center they default you to. They have data centers on the east coast and one on the west coast of the United States.
InMotion Hosting also has N+2 and N+1 battery and diesel powered backups in place and a BG4P network that helps protect against any hardware failures that may occur. They also backup their servers every 36 hours.
While they have a terms of service, they do not have a service level agreement – something we hope they will add in the future to give customers peace of mind.
Help and Support: (Rating: 10/10)
With InMotion Hosting, you have a team of professionals that strive to always be accessible to their customers. They offer 24/7 support – without added fees – and their support portal is quite impressive. There is a knowledge base full of articles and tutorials, their technical staff is all United States-based, which means they’ll speak English, and they even have an active social media presence where you can get ahold of them with your questions. Support is available via online chat, phone and email tickets.
back to menu ↑
- VPS-1000S: 4GB RAM, 60GB storage, 2TB bandwidth, 2 IP addresses, free server management, free solid state drives, free cPanel. Starts at $29.99 per month.
- VPS-2000S: 6GB RAM, 130GB storage, 3TB bandwidth, 2 IP addresses, free server management, free solid state drives, free cPanel. Starts at $49.99 per month.
- VPS-3000S: 8GB RAM, 200GB storage, 4TB bandwidth, 3 IP addresses, free server management, free solid state drives, free cPanel. Starts at $74.99 per month.
- Launch: 2 MySQL databases, unlimited disk space, SSD included, two websites, unlimited transfers, free data backups, free domain, 24/7 support, max speed zone, free website builder. Starts at $4.89 per month.
- Power: SSD included, 50 MySQL databases, unlimited disk space and monthly transfers, six websites, free domain, free backups, 24/7 support, free website builder, e-commerce ready, SSH access, 26 parked domains, 100 subdomains, unlimited email. Starts at $6.29 per month.
- Pro: SSD included, unlimited MySQL databases/disk space/bandwidth, unlimited websites and transfers, free domain, free backups, e-commerce ready, SSH access, Google apps, unlimited parked domains, unlimited email, unlimited sub domains. Starts at $10.49 per month.
- Essential: Intel Xeon X3430, 2.8GHz Turbo 4C/4T, 4GB RAM, 1TB 7.2K SATA, backup drives, 6TB data transfer, 5 IP addresses. Starts at $119.99 per month.
- Advanced: Intel Xeon E3-1220v2, 3.5Ghz Turbo 4C/4T, 8GB ram, 120GB SSD or 1TB 7.2K SATA, backup drives, 10TB data transfer, 10 IP addresses. Starts at $159.99 per month.
- Elite: Intel Xeon E3-1246 v3, 3.7GHz Turbo 4C/8T, 16GB Ram, Raid-1 or SATA, free 2TB SATA backup, 10TB data transfer, 15 IP addresses. Starts at $229.99 per month.
- R-1000S: 80GB storage space, 800GB bandwidth, free dedicated IP. Starts at $13.99 per month.
- R-2000S: 120GB storage space, 1200GB bandwidth, free dedicated IP. Starts at $19.99 per month.
- R-3000S: 160GB storage space, 1600GB bandwidth, free dedicated IP. Starts at $27.49 per month.
- Launch: Free domain, 2 MySQL databases, unlimited disk space and data transfer, WordPress preinstalled, 2 websites per account, unlimited email. Starts at $4.89 per month.
- Power: Free domain, 50 MySQL databases, unlimited disk space and data transfer, WordPress preinstalled, 6 websites per account, unlimited email. Starts at $6.29 per month.
- Pro: Free domain, unlimited MySQL databases/disk space/data transfer, WordPress preinstalled, unlimited websites, unlimited email. Starts at $10.49 per month.
back to menu ↑
Starting Monthly Price: $4.89 - $589+
# of Domains: 1 to Unlimited
Money Back Guarantee: 90 Days
Bandwidth: 2TB - Unlimited
Disk Space: 60GB - Unlimited
# of MySQL Databases: 2 to Unlimited
Data Backups: Daily
Unique IP Address
Optimized Wordpress Hosting
# of Email Addresses: Unlimited
Email Storage: Unlimited
1-Click App Installs
Custom Cron Jobs
Dedicated SSL Certificate
Shared SSL Certificates
Help and Support
back to menu ↑
What we Like About InMotion
Free Domain: A lot of companies reel you in with cheap monthly hosting prices, but they get you with the domain. InMotion Hosting offers free domain registration and you can even have multiple domains per account – depending on the plan you pay for.
Free SSD: Most companies will charge extra if you want SSD drives for your storage. Because these are 20 times faster, it is great to see a company that offers them free.
Easy Google Apps Integration: Google is a game changer for plenty of website builders and bloggers. You want to integrate your favorite Google apps into your site and InMotion Hosting makes it extremely easy – just a few clicks to be exact. Most companies are not so accommodating with third party apps.
90-Day Money Back Guarantee: InMotion has an impressive 90-day money back guarantee. Most companies will limit you to a max of 45 days, but here you can try them basically risk-free for three months.
back to menu ↑
What we Don't Like About InMotion
Surcharges for Bandwidth Overages: If you go past their specific bandwidth amount or their fair use limits (even on unlimited plans), you will face surcharges. While this is nothing new amongst those “unlimited” hosts, it is still something to keep in mind.
Security Issues: While they boast excellent security claims online, the reality is they’ve had quite their share of security issues in the past. They’ve been hacked and there are several users that have complained about security issues ranging from DDoS attacks to server problems and accounting hacking.
No Service Level Agreement (SLA): These are rather critical with web hosting companies. A company that discusses their uptime guarantee, but cannot provide you with a true guarantee may not be worth it. Most companies that have uptime guarantees back them with SLAs and offers of recourse if they don’t meet those promises.
back to menu ↑
Who Is This Web Hosting Company Best For
InMotion Hosting does cater to resellers, businesses and even WordPress bloggers and they have a lot of great features for cheap. So, they could work for established companies as well as those just getting their feet wet. Once your site gets more established you may find that you need a more advanced host, but there are companies out there more than satisfied with the dedicated servers (and cheap pricing) of InMotion Hosting as well.
InMotion offers very affordable business-class web hosting that is excellent for static websites as well as data driven content management systems. Reliable with US Based Support and a 90 Day Money Back Guarantee.