1&1 Web Hosting Review
1&1 is a well-known hosting company that originally started in 1988. While they have been around for some time, they didn’t gain popularity until the last 10 years. The company has 10 separate locations located throughout the globe and over 10 million customers. 1&1 is owned by United Internet, which also owns companies including FastHosts and Sedo.com.
- Super cheap introductory rates
- Unlimited visitors for WordPress
- Unlimited storage
- 24/7 support
- Domain registration
- No service level agreement
- No uptime guarantee
- Limited RAM on some accounts
1&1 Scoring and Rating
Hosting Package: (Rating: 7/10)
1&1 offers a variety of affordable hosting packages, including WordPress hosting, dedicated servers and shared hosting. They have both Linux and Windows based offerings along with VPS hosting plans. Their dynamic hosting plans try to cover every hosting need, but they can be confusing – especially the way they present them.
While they do claim to offer “unlimited” storage and websites, the reality is you are limited to their fair use. If you go over what they feel is a fair use limit, then you will be charged. So, you will want to make sure you read the Service Level Agreement fully for the fair use limitations before assuming it is truly unlimited.
Also, while they offer unlimited storage, their RAM is rather small – and could affect your site’s reliability. Their cheapest plan only comes with 600MB RAM. That is hardly enough to run multiple apps on a website.
Like most web hosts today, they also have a dizzying array of choices on their website, but most of them are the same plan with just a different name. Hopefully they can clear up the confusion in the future.
Features/Functionality: (Rating: 9/10)
There are a few great features and functionality options with 1&1 Hosting. They offer high-performance data centers, Bing advertising credits, site analytics, search engine optimization tools, email marketing and unlimited email accounts, mobile website builder, one-click app installs, PHP, webspace recovery, content delivery network, DDoS protection, unlimited MySQL databases, unlimited web storage and websites per account, 24/7 customer support and PHP7.
While impressive, they don’t necessarily have any unique features from other discount web hosting providers.
Security: (Rating: 10/10)
1&1 Hosting does take safety precautions for their customers, but they aren’t anything more special than other providers out there. They have DDoS protections in place, geo-redundant networks and they use 1&1 SiteLock to prevent hacking.
WordPress: (Rating: 9/10)
1&1 Hosting recently launched a whole host of plans tailored to the WordPress user. They offer improved, easier installation – which was a concern in the past. They also have enhanced protections for those using themes and plugins from third parties. All of their hosting plans are managed and they claim to be 50 percent faster because they offer SSD storage versus traditional.
Plans range from 50GB in space to unlimited storage space. They also offer 1 to unlimited projects, but only one domain registration for free. One nice feature is that you get unlimited visitors for each plan – something you are usually charged extra for.
Their WordPress hosting plans are fairly cheap for introductory rates as well as regular rates.
Usability/Ease of Use: (Rating: 8/10)
1&1 employs the Parallels Plesk control panel for all dedicated and VPS hosting plans. They do also have a customized control panel – created in-house – for their shared web hosting clients. While this can be a good thing, most users are more familiar with cPanel; so if you have been accustomed to cPanel you will need to give yourself extra time to get use to their system.
Overall, 1&1 Hosting is fairly user-friendly, but it could use a little more work. While they have a good deal of information available about their plans, it requires a longer learning curve than other hosts.
Reliability: (Rating: 6/10)
1&1 does not guarantee uptime and this is a concern. Most providers will offer some sort of uptime guarantee to their customers – even if they don’t state recourse options in their SLA. They do state they are 100% reliable, but this isn’t their uptime guarantee. There is no official statement that they will provide you with credits or guarantee your site will work majority of the time – something to consider before signing up and probably a reason they offer such cheap introductory rates.
Their data centers do use the latest security protocols and are located in the United States for U.S.-based customers. They use complex security measures within those data centers to protect their servers. They are also geo-redundant.
Help and Support: (Rating: 9/10)
1&1 Hosting does offer a range of support options in the United States. Technical support is available 24 hours per day, 7 days per week via their toll-free number and ticket system, but not on live chat. They also have active social media accounts on Twitter and Facebook and they gladly interact with their customers through these channels. They also have a YouTube Channel where they post tutorials and other information about their hosting services.
For self-help, their knowledgebase is okay and they also have a FAQs section. You can also allow tech support to show you how to use your service via the Netviewer application.
back to menu ↑
Secure Web Hosting – Linux
- Unlimited: Unlimited websites and storage, 20 databases, 1 free domain, 24/7 support and up to 600MB ram. Starts at $0.99 per month for 12 months and then $6.99 per month after.
- Unlimited Plus: Unlimited storage and websites, unlimited databases, 1 free domain, 24/7 support, up to 1.2GB RAM, 1&1 SiteLock Basic, 1&1 CDN. Starts at $4.99 per month for 12 months and then $9.99 after.
- Unlimited Pro: Unlimited storage, websites and databases, 1 free domain, 24/7 support, 2GB RAM, 120 click and install apps, 1&1 SiteLock basic, 1&1 CDN with Railgun, 1&1 SSL certificate, 1&1 expert support. Starts at $9.99 per month for 12 months and then $14.99 per month after.
Secure Web Hosting – Windows
- Unlimited Windows: Unlimited storage and websites, 5 databases, 1 free domain, 24/7 support and over 100 apps. Starts at $0.99 per month for 12 months and $6.99 per month after.
- Unlimited Plus Windows: Unlimited storage and websites, 10 databases, 1 free domain, 24/7 support, over 100 apps, 1&1 SiteLock Basic, 1&1 CDN. Starts at $4.99 per month for 12 months and then $9.99 per month after.
- Unlimited Pro Windows: Unlimited storage and websites, 25 databases, 24/7 support, 1 free domain, over 100 apps, 1&1 SiteLock Basic, 1&1 CDN with Railgun, 2GB RAM guaranteed, 1&1 SSL certificate. Starts at $9.99 per month for 12 months and then $14.99 per month after that.
- Basic: 1 WordPress project, 50GB SSD storage, unlimited visitors, 1 domain, managed WordPress. Starts at $0.99 per month for 12 months and $6.99 per month after that.
- Plus: 5 WordPress projects, 250GB SSD storage, unlimited visitors, 1 domain, managed WordPress. Starts at $4.99 per month for 12 months and $9.99 per month after that.
- Unlimited: Unlimited WordPress projects, unlimited SSD space, unlimited visitors, 1 free domain registration, managed WordPress. Starts at $9.99 per month for 12 months and then $14.99 per month after that.
- Performance S: 4GB RAM, 4 cores x2.1Ghz, 2x 750GB storage space, RAID-1, unlimited databases. Starts at $34.99 per month.
- Performance M: 8GB RAM, 8 cores x2.4Ghz, 2x 1,000GB storage, RAID-1, unlimited databases. Starts at $44.99 per month.
- Performance L: 16GB RAM, 4 cores x3.5Ghz, 2x 1,000GB storage, RAID-1, unlimited databases. Starts at $64.99 per month.
- Performance XL: 32GB RAM, 12 cores x2.3Ghz, 2x 2,000GB storage, RAID-1, unlimited databases. Starts at $104.99 per month.
back to menu ↑
Starting Monthly Price: $0.99 to $104.99
# of Domains: Unlimited
Money Back Guarantee: 30 Days
Bandwidth: 600MB to Unlimited
Disk Space: Unlimited
# of MySQL Databases: 20 to Unlimited
Data Backups: Daily
Unique IP Address
Optimized Wordpress Hosting
# of Email Addresses: Unlimited
Email Storage: Unlimited
1-Click App Installs
Custom Cron Jobs
Dedicated SSL Certificate
Shared SSL Certificates
Help and Support
back to menu ↑
What we Like About 1&1
Cheap Introductory Rates: It is always nice when a company offers cheap intro rates – and you can’t be under $1 per month for your first year of hosting. Of course, the price jump from introductory to regular is pretty steep with 1&1 Hosting, so we recommend seeing how much you’ll pay after the trial to avoid payment shock.
30 Day Money Back Guarantee: You can try 1&1 Hosting risk-free for 30 days. This is a good opportunity to see if you like their functionality, control panels and features. If you don’t, you can request your money back and cancel the contract.
back to menu ↑
What we Don’t Like About 1&1
No SLA or Uptime Guarantee: This is by far the weirdest thing ever. Most companies have a guarantee on uptime. Also, 1&1 doesn’t have a service level agreement. While not all companies offer this, it does provide you with some peace of mind – because the company is telling you exactly what they promise for the price.
Low RAM: While they have good prices, you sacrifice RAM – and that is a big deal. Most companies are generous with their RAM offerings, especially on shared hosting and dedicated server plans. If you are going to use 1&1 Hosting, we highly recommend you look at the amount of RAM you’re getting for the money first.
back to menu ↑
Who Is This Web Hosting Company Best For
1&1 Hosting is a reliable host, even if they don’t offer an uptime promise of any sort. They work well for startup websites, but may be too limited for developers or individuals that want to run multiple sites. We would recommend them more for those getting their feet wet with hosting – and not those that need high performance, high capacity hosting solutions.
1&1 has been around since 1988 and has established themselves as a leader - offering affordable pricing, simple hosting package options and top notch 24/7 support. This host works well for the novice webmaster but may be a bit too limited for the advanced webmaster.