Why Consider a Vanity Number
We may earn money or products (at no cost to you) from the companies mentioned in this post. However, we do not let any merchant influence our ratings - even though they might like to. ;-) Some of our top rated merchants we have no relationship with, other than we like their products! We do however appreciate you using our links when possible, because it allows us to keep the lights on and bring you more great reviews!
Vanity Phone Numbers are phone numbers that spell out words that match numbers on the phone keypad. Everyone recognizes phone numbers like 1-800-FLOWERS, 1-800-GoFedEx, or 1-800-PetMeds for example, and they are perfect examples of a vanity phone numbers. You easily identify the company, and are able to easily remember the phone number without having to look it up.
Today, vanity phone numbers can be either toll free numbers, such as the ones above, or can even be a local phone numbers for those businesses who have a more local or geographic business appeal. Vanity numbers can be a very useful marketing tool when used correctly.
Statistics Around Vanity Numbers*
- 90% of Americans say they have used a toll free number to contact a company after viewing an advertisement.
- Of those 90%, a productive ad featuring a toll free vanity number can generate a response rate of 30% or better.
- When surveyed 58% of customers stated they prefer a vanity number on advertisements they see, because it helps them to remember contact info without a lot of effort.
- 72% of people correctly recalled a vanity number after a 30 second advertisement, in contrast to only 5% being able to recall a numeric number when used in that same advertisement!
- Because of the above recall rates, users are 3 to 4 times more likely to contact a company with a vanity number than one with a numeric number.
Why Vanity Numbers Work
- Brand and Product Identification People associate vanity numbers with a brand or product. When they are ready to purchase they can easily call to inquire. For example their is no doubt who you are calling when you call 1-800-GoFedEx.
- Increased Campaign Life Once imprinted in a customer's memory, a vanity number will continue to result in calls long after an actual campaign as ended.
- Retention and Brand Loyalty People can easily remember a vanity number associated with company they are loyal to, and are much more likely to call that number when needing products or services than a number they have to look up. A vanity number should be a key component to any branding strategy.
- Reputation, Credibility and Image Research shows that consumers equate businesses that offer vanity numbers with quality service and satisfaction, and prefer doing business with them.
What Channels Should Be Using Vanity Numbers
- Billboards and Outdoor Advertising Drivers aren't likely to stop and jot down a phone number, but they are very likely to remember a vanity number.
- Radio and Television Ads How many times have you seen or heard an advertisement, but don't have a pen and paper handy, and by the time you do, you can't remember the number? With a vanity number you are much more likely to remember it.
- Vehicle Signage Again for busy drivers to easily remember your number!
- Trade Show Displays Studies show that almost half of the customers who contact you after a trade show, never even stopped to talk to you, but instead saw your number on a display, flyer, show catalog or can coolie!
- Website A vanity number that is easily associated with a brand will be easily remembered by a customer.
For printed media such as newspapers, flyers, business cards, letterhead, etc. we would suggest that you not only print your vanity number, but also include the numeric version. Even though Vanity numbers are great for recall, have you ever tried dialing one? Yeah, it's not that fun, and definitely not quick! If you have the numeric version available along with the vanity number, where customers are likely to call you immediately it will make it much easier for them! They will remember you, and be able to quickly get ahold of you!
If you are in the market for a local or toll free vanity number, RingBoost offers both at reasonable prices.
If you are looking for a small business phone service that also offers vanity numbers we would suggest Phone.com – great VoIP with tons of features and very reasonably priced starting at $12.99/month, Grasshopper – great call forwarding service that allows you to utilize existing cell phones starting at $24/month, or RingCentral – start out small and easily grow without changing providers, starting at $12.99/month.